By Diptajyoti Mitra
Winter months always come with special treat! One such treat for the season is duck meat, nicely fatten that makes it plumpy and juicy.
Here is Nadan duck mappas. A classical Serian Christian dish from God’s own country. Spicy gravy with creamy texture of coconut milk that makes it a perfect winter treat !
Here is how you can make it !
Duck : 1 kg (with skin and cut in to medium pieces)
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder: 2 tsp or as per your comfort
Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Shallots or small red onions/sambar onions : 1/4 cup finely sliced.
Dried whole red chillies: 2-3 Broken into halves
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: a fistful
Green chillies: Cut into halves and slit, 8-10
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
Onion: 1 large finely sliced
Tomat: 1 medium sliced
Ginger: 1 tbsp grated/finely chopped
Garlic: 1 tbsp grated/finely chopped
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Fennel powder: 1 tsp
Black pepper powder: 1.5 tsp
Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
2nd extract coconut milk 2 cups
1st extract coconut milk 1 cup
- Cut the duck into medium sized pieces, wash well, smear them in a little salt and turmeric powder for couple of minutes, drain any excess liquid.
- Marinate the duck pieces with red chili powder and coriander powder along with salt and turmeric for at least half an hour.
- Heat a pan or in pressure cooker, pour coconut oil. Pour in mustard seeds and when it splutters, add shallots, curry leaves, dried red chilly,chopped ginger and garlic and cook for couple of minutes.
- Now add chopped onion, green chillies, tomatoes and fry till onions turn translucent and light brown color; and the tomatoes quite mushy.
- Add duck pieces, little salt, add half cup warm water, close the cooker and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on high heat and then lower the heat and let it cook for another 10 mins. Now carefullycool the cooker under running tap water, remove from water and open the lid.
- In a bowl take the thin coconut milk and add all powder masalas and mix well, pour this liquid into to the pressure cooker.
- Increase heat and bring it to boil, lower the heat and cook for another 10-15 minutes to thicken the gravy.
- Now add thick coconut milk and mix nicely, check salt and add as desired. Now in low heat thicken it little more, almost a creamy texture. Swtich off the heat and cover it so thd aromas settle inside.
- Nadan duck mappas is ready to be served with Serve hot with rice.